Friday, September 11, 2009
100g/4oz Wholemeal Flour
50g/2oz Self-Raising Flour
A pinch of Salt
Water to bind
120ml/4 fl.oz. Golden Syrup [what is it?]
75g/3oz Fresh Brown Breadcrumbs
Grated zest of 1/2 Lemon
50g/2oz Toasted Hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
1. Sift the flours with the salt into a mixing bowl. Tip the residue of bran left in the sieve into the bowl and stir lightly to mix.
2. Cut the butter into the flour with a palette knife, then rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Gradually stir in just enough water to bind the mixture together. Knead briefly until smooth. Wrap in cling film and leave to relax in the bottom of the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas mark 6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry and line an 18cm/7 inch flan tin, reserving the trimmings.
4. Place syrup into a saucepan and heat gently. Stir in the breadcrumbs, lemon zest and chopped nuts.
5. Spread the syrup mixture evenly over the base of the pastry case. Roll out the pastry trimmings thinly and cut into long, narrow strips. Arrange the strips in a lattice over the filling. Trim off any overhanging pastry, then lightly brush the strips with the beaten egg or milk.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the pastry is cooked and the filling a rich dark brown.